Wildflower Golf Course
FORE! Yes, Wildflower Golf Course is something to shout about. Designed by Joel Goldstrand, one of the most highly regarded golf course architects in the Midwest, with the tradition of seaside golf in mind, tall grass prairies and rolling hills meet the lakes and woods of Northwest Minnesota. The course’s distinctive layout features open vistas, oak lined fairways, and large, undulating, bent grass greens that are receptive to quality shots, yet are a test to most players for those elusive birdie putts. The fifth hole, a long par 4, boasts an elevation drop of 90 feet; a sight that still awes players who frequent the golf course.
PRACTICE—The full amenity practice range is second to none in the area. One can utilize the recently expanded practice chipping green surrounded by mature oak trees, sharpen their putting on the practice green located adjacent to the clubhouse, or practice their full swing attempting to hit the backside of the 350 yard range. The practice range is expansive enough to accommodate over 25 players at one time.
STAY—Wildflower has quietly become recognized as one of the greatest golf destinations in Northern Minnesota. Wildflower is located at Fair Hills Resort, on Pelican Lake, offering multiple packages with a plethora of amenities that all guests are sure to enjoy.
PLAY—This par 72, 18-hole course features over 7,000 yards of lush fairways, five sets of tee boxes, and a challenging, yet rewarding amount of sand and native prairie grasses, guaranteeing a memorable and enjoyable track for players of all skill levels.
Wildflower Golf Course is located 15 minutes south of Detroit Lakes, 45 minutes east of the Fargo-Moorhead area, and just three hours northwest of the Twin Cities.
Awards and Highlights
- Minnesota Golf Association Mid-Players Qualifier, host facility (2018 and 2019)
- Minnesota Golf Association Players’ Qualifier, host facility (2005, 2006, 2018, and 2019)
- Minnesota Golf Association Senior Player’s Qualifier host facility (2005, 2006, 2011, 2018 and 2019)
- Minnesota PGA Junior Golf Association, host facility (1997 – 2019)
- Concordia Invitational, Women’s and Men’s Collegiate Event (2017 and 2018)
- Rated Top Minnesota Golf Resorts by ResortsandLodges.com (2009 and 2017)
- Concordia Invitational, Women’s Collegiate Event, annual tournament (2009 and 2010)
- MGA Minnesota State Junior Boys Championship, host facility (2009 and 2010)
- Rated in the top 10 courses in Minnesota by AAA (2007)
- U.S. Amateur Championship Qualifying Site (2005 and 2007)
- 103rd MGA Amateur Championship, Sectional Qualifying Site (2006)
- “Rally for the Cure” Tournament, one of 3,200 events supporting the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (2006)
- Rated 4.5 stars by Golf Digest (2001)
- Rated Best 201 Places to Play by Golf Digest (2000)
- Rated 4 stars by Golf Digest (1999)
Neil Gryte has been a loyal employee of Wildflower Golf Course for 25 years! You can find him working in the pro-shop and helping out at the snack bar. In his free time, he enjoys tinkering in his wood shop at his home. Neil has made one “hole-in-one” in his lifetime and he hopes to make a second!
Christian began working at Wildflower in 2019. He is a 2015 graduate of Maple Grove High School. In 2020, he earned a Degree in Sport Management with a minor in Business Management from NDSU. For the past four years Christian has provided golf instruction with over 100 hours of teaching experience of beginner to intermediate level players. When he’s not working or playing the course he enjoys nature, fishing, and being on the lake. He is also a former hockey player and currently serves as a hockey referee.