Wildflower Golf Course
FORE! Yes, Wildflower Golf Course is something to shout about. Designed by Joel Goldstrand, one of the most highly regarded golf course architects in the Midwest, with the tradition of seaside golf in mind, tall grass prairies and rolling hills meet the lakes and woods of Northwest Minnesota. The course’s distinctive layout features open vistas, oak lined fairways, and large, undulating, bent grass greens that are receptive to quality shots, yet are a test to most players for those elusive birdie putts. The fifth hole, a long par 4, boasts an elevation drop of 90 feet; a sight that still awes players who frequent the golf course.
PRACTICE—The full amenity practice range is second to none in the area. One can utilize the recently expanded practice chipping green surrounded by mature oak trees, sharpen their putting on the practice green located adjacent to the clubhouse, or practice their full swing attempting to hit the backside of the 350 yard range. The practice range is expansive enough to accommodate over 25 players at one time.
STAY—Wildflower has quietly become recognized as one of the greatest golf destinations in Northern Minnesota. Wildflower is located at Fair Hills Resort, on Pelican Lake, offering multiple packages with a plethora of amenities that all guests are sure to enjoy.
PLAY—This par 72, 18-hole course features over 7,000 yards of lush fairways, five sets of tee boxes, and a challenging, yet rewarding amount of sand and native prairie grasses, guaranteeing a memorable and enjoyable track for players of all skill levels.
Wildflower Golf Course is located 15 minutes south of Detroit Lakes, 45 minutes east of the Fargo-Moorhead area, and just three hours northwest of the Twin Cities.
Awards and Highlights
- Minnesota Golf Association Mid-Players Qualifier, host facility (2018 and 2019)
- Minnesota Golf Association Players’ Qualifier, host facility (2005, 2006, 2018, and 2019)
- Minnesota Golf Association Senior Player’s Qualifier host facility (2005, 2006, 2011, 2018 and 2019)
- Minnesota PGA Junior Golf Association, host facility (1997 – 2019)
- Concordia Invitational, Women’s and Men’s Collegiate Event (2017 and 2018)
- Rated Top Minnesota Golf Resorts by ResortsandLodges.com (2009 and 2017)
- Concordia Invitational, Women’s Collegiate Event, annual tournament (2009 and 2010)
- MGA Minnesota State Junior Boys Championship, host facility (2009 and 2010)
- Rated in the top 10 courses in Minnesota by AAA (2007)
- U.S. Amateur Championship Qualifying Site (2005 and 2007)
- 103rd MGA Amateur Championship, Sectional Qualifying Site (2006)
- “Rally for the Cure” Tournament, one of 3,200 events supporting the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (2006)
- Rated 4.5 stars by Golf Digest (2001)
- Rated Best 201 Places to Play by Golf Digest (2000)
- Rated 4 stars by Golf Digest (1999)
Laura McMartin graduated from North Dakota State University in 2013 with a Bachelor’s degree in hospitality and tourism management with a minor in business administration. Laura is no stranger to the Detroit Lakes area; growing up in St. Thomas, ND, meant she spent a majority of her summers on Lake Melissa.
Laura worked at Wildflower Golf Course during the summers of 2009 & 2010. She joined the front desk staff at Fair Hills Resort for the summer of 2012 as the conference intern and was soon promoted to the Conference and Event Director at Fair Hills Resort. Laura took on the added role of General Manager of Wildflower Golf Course in January 2014.
Scott joined the Wildflower team in February 2019 as Superintendent. Originally from Foley, MN, Scott earned a Bachelor’s degree in sports management from Bemidji State University, then went on to earn a degree in turfgrass management from Rutgers University’s highly regarded Turfgrass Science program in New Brunswick, NJ. Scott has over 20 years of experience working at various highly regarded golf courses across the state of Minnesota.
Scott’s hobbies include involvement in his church and spending time with his children, Noah (14), Brynn (12) and Silas (4). He enjoys all sports, especially golf and fishing. Recently, Scott had the opportunity to travel to Scotland to visit a good friend and play some golf on a few historical, challenging tracks!
Neil Gryte has been a loyal employee of Wildflower Golf Course for 25 years! You can find him working in the pro-shop and helping out at the snack bar. In his free time, he enjoys tinkering in his wood shop at his home. Neil has made one “hole-in-one” in his lifetime and he hopes to make a second!
Ollie Olson has been with Wildflower Golf Course for the past seven years following his retirement from working as a savings and loan examiner. His favorite hobbies outside of work include fishing, gardening, watching hockey and traveling. Prior to retirement, Ollie spent a majority of his year traveling, often being out of town for about 130 nights each year. His favorite places to travel include Palm Springs, California and Hawaii!